Eye shadow for beginners guide.


Hey everybody. Apologies for being MIA recently, but I'm back now!

Lately I've been hearing a lot of people complaining about how they find applying eye shadows difficult and bothersome. Honestly, all it takes is a good set of brushes and a lot of practice. After all, practice does make perfect. So I've decided to show you guys a few picture tutorials that I found should help many of you beginners out there. 

The first step is really examining your face and determining your eye shape. Your eyes are your guide for applying eye shadows and liners, so it is important to know what you are working with. 




Once you have that down, here is a little eye chart. This shows you what each part of your eye is called and what you should use it for while applying your shadows.


Next are the brushes. Gone are the days when one brush had to do the job. I personally think that if you have a good set of brushes, your eye shadow application will become a hundred times easier. All you have to know is what each one is used for.


Now I'm not going to lie- brushes can be pretty pricey. If you're just starting out, I would suggest buying a few for now, and then adding more later on. My essential brushes are an all over lid brush which applies color on your eyelid, a tapered precision brush which you can precisely apply color to the crease, a blending brush (which is probably the best brush in the world- you use it to blend all the colors together so that they end up looking like they merge into one another, and even if you are wearing one color and you blend it upwards towards the brow bone, it ends up looking faded. I'll insert a picture below) and an eye liner brush (because I use gel liner). 
Blended eye shadow. 


One more thing in the brush department that I want to talk about are these guys. 

I'm sure you all are familiar with sponge tip applicators. Do NOT- I repeat- DO NOT use these to apply your eye shadows. They are not gentle on the eye lids and applying powder with them to the eyes ends up looking horrible in my opinion. The only thing you can use these guys for is for loose glitter shadows or pigments, and while applying these you should gently press the applicator to your lids for the product to transfer onto them. 

Finally, here are a few good starter tutorials which may help some of you with your eye shadow applications.






If you are looking for a specific look or color, do what I did when I first started out- YouTube it! YouTube is a great source of learning all things related to beauty, and it's the reason why I know what I know today. 
I hope you guys enjoy this post and good luck on your eye adventures! xx

2 Comments